The Semler family owned a factory producing drawn-wire products. They were particularly well-known for manufacturing high-quality gramophone needles. They lived in their home at 19 Klatovská Street, which also included their factory and office headquarters on the ground floor of the house. After the death of the company’s founder, Šimon Semler, his son Hugo and his family lived in the house. It was Hugo who had the apartment reconstructed in 1930.

Adolf Loos designed a gorgeous music lounge, which was strictly symmetrical and lined with white Fantastico marble. The marble boasted black veining, and it resembled all sorts of surreal creatures. In the centre of the main wall, Adolf Loos positioned a fireplace made of bricks with, as was his style, a mirror placed wall above it. The built-in furniture and doors were made of elm wood. From the adjacent gentlemen’s lounge, the room was variably separable by a glass sliding wall. The gentlemen’s lounge and the dining room, which were most likely designed by some of Loos’ collaborators, were also preserved. In 1932, Loos designed a two-storey extension of the house, which, unfortunately was never built.

During World War II, the house served as the headquarters of the Wehrmacht in Pilsen. In the gentlemen’s lounge, the capitulation of the German garrison was signed at the end of the war. After having signed the capitulation certificates, General Georg von Majewski shot himself dead in front of the US soldiers present, his staff, and his wife Elisabeth. After the war, the Communist regime confiscated the home of the Semler family and, until 2002, the Czechoslovakian Army (later the Czech Army) continued its use of the space. Both the house and the interior are still waiting to be reconstructed, and both premises are accessible to the public, but only on special occasions.

  • Marble

    Loos named the marble stone used here ‘Fantastico’, which is fitting given the various fantastical figures formed by the marble’s extraordinary veining. The best way to describe these images is to say they resemble the Rorschach test and its ink stains.

  • Mirrors

    The mirror wall above the fireplace was positioned directly on the axis of the individual rooms, thus connecting them together and creating the desired symmetry. This symmetry was achieved thanks to the reflection of the mirrors in the dining hall.

  • Fireplace

    The brick-layered fireplace was first implemented by Adolf Loos in 1909 for his own apartment in Vienna. Later, he used this type of fireplace with slight variations in many of his designs.

Other interiors

B10 10 Bendova Street
K12 10 Klatovska Street
H58 58 Husova Street
K110 110 Klatovska Street
K19 19 Klatovska Street
P6 6 Placheho Street
K140 140 Klatovska Street
NR22 22 Republic Square
  • B10

    10 Bendova Street
    The Apartment of the Kraus Family

    Accessible Part of
    Guided Tour 1

  • K12

    12 Klatovska Street
    The Apartment of Dr. Vogl

    Accessible Part of
    Guided Tour 1

  • H58

    58 Husova Street
    The Brummel House

    Accessible Part of
    Guided Tour 2

  • K110

    110 Klatovska Street
    The Semler House

    Temporarily closed

  • P6

    6 Placheho Street
    Richard Hirsch's Apartment

    Only open occasionally
    Guided Tour 4

  • K19

    19 Klatovska Street
    Hugo Semler's Apartment

    Only open occasionally
    Guided Tour 4

  • K140

    140 Klatovska Street
    Leo Brummel's Apartment

    Not accessible by the public

  • NR22

    22 Republic Square
    Weiner's Apartment

    Not accessible by the public